TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR FINANCES
The Financial Empowerment Center (FEC) provides renters, aspiring homebuyers and existing homeowners with the skills, knowledge and information they need to obtain, stabilize and maintain affordable housing, whether it’s a rental or home purchase. Clients learn how to improve their financial health and net wealth by decreasing consumer debt and increasing their savings. In essence, we create default-resistant homeowners. Our motto is “Knowledge is Power. Get Some. Then Use it!” or “Saber es Poder. Aplícalo”.
Are you ready to talk?
WORKSHOPS AND EVENTS
INTRO TO HOME OWNERSHIP
The first step in your path to homeownership is the Intro to Home Ownership workshop
Your first home is one of the most important investments you will make. Learn everything you need to know about buying and owning your own home. Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Pro’s and Con’s of Home Ownership
- Basic Financial Planning & Money Management for Default Resistant Homeowners
- How to do an Affordability Assessment Before You Apply for a Loan
- The 5C’s of Lending: Credit, Capacity, Capital, Collateral & Conditions
- How to research Down Payment Assistance and First Time Homebuyer Programs
- Mortgages 101: Loan Disclosures, the Promissory Note and the Deed of Trust
- Shopping For a Home and Working with Real Estate Agents
- The Escrow/Closing Process
- Taxes & Insurance
- Maintaining Your Home: Maintenance & Repairs
- Keeping Your Home: When Money Gets Tight; Avoiding Scams
SF DISTRICT 10 HOMEOWNER STABILIZATION INIATIVE
Long-term Homeowners living in SF District 10 for at least 10-years are eligible for FREE financial assistance and FREE estate planning.
Up to $30,000 in FREE Financial Assistance & FREE Estate Planning for Longtime Homeowners in SF District 10.
Must complete Financial Education and Counseling with SFHDC to receive funding. Fill the intake form and an SFHDC counselor will contact you shortly.
MOHDC HOMEBUYER ORIENTATION
This 2-hour webinar is REQUIRED if you intend to use any City of San Francisco Homeownership Programs to purchase a Below Market Rate home or a Market Rate Home.
In this free two-hour orientation you will learn if you are eligible for SF MOHCD Homeownership programs. The orientation provides an overview of affordable programs in San Francisco, including eligibility requirements and the application process. Even if you decide not to purchase in SF, we can still help you with your homeownership journey!
RENTAL REALITY, RENTAL READINESS
Navigating the Rental Market in and around San Francisco
Finding affordable housing in the San Francisco Bay Area is no easy task. In this interactive class, we help you navigate the challenges of finding AND getting a rental in San Francisco. In this workshop/webinar, you’ll learn how to:
- Navigate the SF rental market
- Apply for SF BMR rental units
- Learn about the rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords
- Become familiar with SF’s Fair Chance Ordinance protecting the formerly incarcerated
- Become Familiar with SF’s tenant protection laws and eviction process, and
- Learn how to create a winning & competitive renter profile
RENTAL APPLICATION ASSISTANCE
The rental assistance application process can be overwhelming at times. Let us help you navigate through this process. SFHDC provides 1:1support with the affordable rental application.
MONEY MATTERS! KEEP YOUR MIND ON YOUR MONEY…!
Improve your relationship with Your Money
This workshop will walk you through our 6 step process for creating a more loving, fulfilling relationship with your financial partner in life – Your Money!
In this class you will learn how to follow the 6 steps to a better relationship with your money:
- Assess your personal & financial situation
- Set personal & financial goals
- Create a “living” budget
- Mind your money – tracking expenses & savings patterns
- Compare Truth vs Fiction; Reality time: ”The Numbers Don’t Lie”
- Review, revise, & re-sharpen
Join us for this two-hour love fest where we’ll help you identify how to love your money better, so it stays with you and helps you build a better tomorrow
Want to know your options on how to pay back your student loans? Have you defaulted on a Federal student loan and want to know how to fix it so it stops negatively impacting your creditworthiness? Did you know that the elderly can have up to 25% of their social security income garnished to satisfy defaulted student loan debts, no matter how old the debt? At the end of this workshop, you’ll have a better understanding of:
- The various types of student loans: private vs public
- The student loan repayment process and repayment plans
- What options are available if the loan is in default
- Consequences of defaulting on your federal student loans
- How to rebuild and “rehabilitate” defaulted student loans
Resources for resolving disputes with student loan servicing companies
CREDIT BUILDING AND REPAIR
Don’t let your credit score keeping you from achieving your goals
This 2 part online workshop will teach you EVERYTHING you need to know about credit reporting, credit scoring and how YOUR actions impact your credit history. This class is a must for anyone applying for credit, housing, or job positions that require credit and background checks. Your credit rating will either help you or hurt you, you don’t wait to find out the hard way. Learn all about the ins and outs of credit scoring and best practices for building excellent credit and restoring impaired credit. Each part must be signed up for seperately.
While we Shelter in Place and figure out how to make ends meet, SFHDC is offering two free credit reports to each person who completes our Credit Matters Part I class by September 30, 2020.
Now more than ever it is imperative that you monitor your credit report to ensure that any COVID-19 related deferments, or offers to “skip a payment” are accurately reflected on your credit report, and to protect yourself against scammers and identify theft – scammers love a crisis. Don’t let your fear of the unknown get the better of you.
Knowledge is Power!
BUSINESS CREDIT BASICS
In this DIY workshop, you’ll learn how to Build, & Maintain Excellent BUSINESS Credit! Topics covered include:
- Business Credit Defined
- Benefits of Business Credit
- Business Credit vs Personal Credit
- Business Credit Scoring Model
- Steps to Building Business Credit
- Business “Bona Fides”
- Business Credit Reports
- Vendor Accounts
- Revolving Accounts
- More Ways to Build
- Business Credit & Funding Suite Program