Founded in 1988 by a visionary group of African American leaders and their allies, the San Francisco Housing Development Corporation (SFHDC) has been dedicated from day one to stemming the tide of displacement and forging partnerships to ensure that the City and wider Bay Area will once again become a place where communities of color can afford to live, shop and work. Today, the organization seeks a Fund Development Associate or Manager to assist in expanding key components of the organization’s core programs and developing new opportunities to fulfill its mission.
The Fund Development Associate / Fund Development Manager will be an active partner to the Director of Fund Development and Communications, Chief Executive Officer, and other senior staff. The successful candidate will assist the organization in increasing financial support from foundations, individual donors, and corporations while enhancing the organization’s brand identity through the Annual Report. This position will play a critical role in ensuring the organization attracts and retains a growing network of supporters by accurately and timely reporting our successes to foundations, City agencies, and the communities we serve. This is a great opportunity for a passionate and creative fund development specialist with the ability to produce concise, impactful written narratives.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: Fund Development Associate (Level I)
- Work with the Director of Fund Development, CEO, and other senior staff to adapt and expand the existing fund development plan to meet evolving programmatic needs of four core programs: Real Estate Development, Financial Empowerment, Resident Services, and Community Economic Development.
- Identify reporting requirements for all grants and service contracts; track and ensure SFHDC meets reporting deadlines; assist in the collection of information necessary for filing the required reports; draft reports for review, and submit accurate and complete reports within the requisite deadlines.
- Prepare written content for the Annual Report, including brief articles highlighting success stories from the communities SFHDC serves.
- Working in collaboration with dedicated grant writers, assisting in writing and preparing new funding applications; preparing templates for collaborative editing; assisting with preliminary responses.
- Research potential funders based on programmatic areas of interest. Update database of likely funders, including types of grants issued, contact information, and funding cycles.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: Fund Development Manager (Level II)
- Lead efforts in drafting written narrative responses to recurring grants, as well as those arising out of external events (e.g. COVID-19 emergency response grants) and numerous City-funded grants and contracts.
- Assist the Real Estate Development team in composing and packaging written materials for Request For Proposals (RFP) and Request For Qualifications (RFQ) responses; assist in the preparation of written materials for virtual meetings, presentations, and solicitation letters.
- Writing sample required for consideration.
- Minimum of a Bachelors Degree with emphasis on English, creative writing, communications, social justice, public administration, business, or a related field.
- Outstanding writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to translate the impacts of programs and services into meaningful and persuasive language.
- A successful track record in applying for grants and contracts; alternately, a significant body of compelling journalistic, academic or creative writings.
- Technologically savvy, with experience utilizing software such as MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and their online variants; experience with Salesforce or similar CRM databases.
- A successful track record in problem-solving and sound decision-making.
- At least 2-3 years of overall professional experience doing similar work.
- Excellent communication and relationship-building skills with an ability to work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to wear several hats in a fast-paced environment, yet focus on the task on hand.
- Candidates with lived experience and/or demonstrated empathy with low- and moderate-income communities of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Personal traits of honesty, integrity, credibility, commitment to quality, and dedication to the mission of SFHDC.
BENEFITS: Level I and Level II salaries commensurate with experience; excellent benefits, including health insurance, life insurance, retirement plans, vacation time, sick leave, and generous holiday schedules.
The San Francisco Housing Development Corporation is an equal opportunity employer/drug-free workplace and is committed to the belief that each individual is entitled to equal employment opportunity.
If interested, please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining why you are qualified for the position to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For Level II applicants, a writing sample is required for consideration.
Please no telephone calls, personal emails, or unannounced visits.