San Francisco Housing Development Corporation (SFHDC) – a 33-year-old housing and community development corporation– seeks an experienced retail and operations professional to help launch and run “In The Black,” a Black-led marketplace in the Fillmore/Western Addition. In The Black is a creative and entrepreneurial marketplace providing affordable retail and shelf-space to over 20 Black-owned businesses. The marketplace is currently under construction with a target opening date of November 25, 2022 (Black Friday). Black entrepreneurs can engage with In The Black through pop-ups, event activations, selling products on the marketplace’s e-commerce website, or by subleasing space on a permanent basis. In The Black will provide affordable retail space to hundreds of Black-owned businesses over the next decade. The ideal start date for this position is November 1, 2022.
Reporting to the Marketplace Manager, the Assistant Marketplace Manager will be responsible for helping to manage the day to day operations at In The Black to ensure the marketplace runs smoothly. The Assistant Marketplace Manager is responsible for managing In The Black’s editorial calendar, e-commerce website, and social media promotion as well as in-store sales. The ideal candidate for this position is self-directed, loves to plan, and can drive brand engagement through our marketing efforts. The Assistant Marketplace Manager position requires strong multi-tasking skills and compelling writing skills. The Assistant Marketplace Manager will be responsible for sending weekly e-newsletters, promoting events, producing and managing social media content, and managing the online-store (including writing great product copy!) and order fulfillment.
You must be a natural salesperson and very outgoing. The position requires a strong sense of style and developing a voice for the In The Black brand. The right person for this position can bring creative, actionable ideas to the table and take ownership for their marketing campaigns and projects. The Assistant Marketplace Manager will also oversee sales reps and interns and will need to delegate work appropriately. In addition to handling in-store sales, the marketing manager will provide merchandising support, and other duties as assigned by the Marketplace Manager.
The successful candidate excels at written and verbal communication, as this position will work directly with entrepreneurs to source social media content, on merchandising, scheduling pop up activations, and maintaining warm and professional communications with businesses.
- Creating and designing e-newsletters
- Storytelling and customer nurturing
- Scheduling and managing an editorial calendar
- Social media management (engaging with customers)
- Creating written and visual content for blog and social media channels
- Promoting events and finding cross promotional opportunities
- Maintaining and updating e-commerce site
- Writing product copy
- Tracking marketing campaign performance
- Supervising interns and staff
- Training sales staff and providing guidance
- Maintaining operations budget (finding cost savings where possible)
- Proposing ideas for marketing tactics
- Checking and submitting timesheets
- Sales and budget tracking
- Leading team meetings (and motivating staff)
- Online traffic and conversions
- Handling sick/vacation requests
- Submitting expenditure requests for supplies & marketing materials
- Scheduling photoshoots
- Managing product pulls (internal and external)
- Other duties as assigned
- Great interpersonal skills
- 2+ years retail management experience (ideally in a boutique setting)
- Social media management experience
- Blogging experience
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Creative and visually inclined
- Excellent problem solver
- 2+ years experience POS and cash drawer
- Organized and neat
- Excellent excel & word skills
- Self-motivated and productive
- Strong fashion sense
- Excellent and compelling writing skills
- Willingness to go above and beyond
- Energetic and enthusiastic
- Great sales skills and personable
- Available to work 4 days a week
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs
- Shopify and ecommerce experience;
- Experience working with and providing marketing support to small businesses;
- Outstanding organizational work methodology.
- Lived experience or prior professional experience working within communities of color is highly valued;
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to SFHDC’s mission and supporting low- and moderate-income communities of
WORK SCHEDULE: Project-based position requiring a commitment of 35 hours per week. Depending on the project’s needs, you may be required to work after regular hours, including evenings and weekends. Minimum one-year commitment.
HOURLY WAGES AND BENEFITS: The anticipated hourly wage for this position is $27/hr. Excellent benefits, including 100% health care coverage, life insurance, Flexible Spending Account, retirement plans, vacation time, sick leave and generous holiday schedules.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
NOTICE: This description is to be used as a guide only. It does not constitute a contract, commitment or promise of any kind. SFHDC reserves the right to change, add, delete, upgrade or downgrade the position as dictated by business necessity at any time with or without notice.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a current résumé, Employment Application, and cover letter that responds to the following questions:
- Describe one unique skill or quality that you possess that sets you apart from other candidates for this position.
- What type of experience do you have working in low-income communities of color, and performing administrative duties?
- Why are you interested in this position?
Note: The Employment Application may be found at https://sfhdc.org/careers/
Applicants will be screened on a rolling basis.
SFHDC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender (including actual or perceived gender, and gender identity), sexual orientation, age, marital status, medical condition, religious affiliation, veteran status, national origin, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state, federal or local law. SFHDC will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in the manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. If you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for a job, please let us know. If the reason you need an accommodation is not obvious, we may ask for documentation confirming your functional limitations.
The San Francisco Housing Development Corporation
is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Drug Free Workplace and is committed to the belief that each individual is entitled to equal employment opportunity.