SFHDC is a nonprofit affordable housing developer based in San Francisco and is seeking a Real Estate Accountant to work within the Real Estate Development department on the accounting and financial organization aspects of a variety of exciting affordable housing projects in various stages.
Compensation Range: $70,000 to $90,000 DOE
Reporting to the head of Real Estate Development, the Real Estate Accountant will participate in all day-to-day accounting operations of a growing portfolio of residential/commercial properties, the development projects, and the corporate entity. The Real Estate Accountant will directly be responsible for the monthly/quarterly/annual financial reporting, general ledger reconciliations, accounts payable, accounts receivable, grants administration, development accounting, assist the annual financial audit, compliance audits, Income tax returns, cost certifications, banking, company credit cards, and maintenance of an adequate internal accounting system.
The Real Estate Accountant will uphold SFHDC’s accounting and internal control policies and procedures and give recommendations for improvement if needed. Additionally, the Real Estate Accountant will oversee all compliance and post award management for our Community Real Estate audit, our annual audit, and federal grants in compliance with the Single Audit. The Real Estate Accountant must be able to adapt to a continually evolving environment and thrive in an autonomous and deadline-oriented workplace. The real Estate Accountant should be able to exercise good judgment, possess strong problem solving and decision-making skills, and collaborate with other members of Real Estate Development.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform monthly bank reconciliation for several properties
- Import monthly financial reports from AppFolio into Excel or other accounting software
- Book loan payments, maintain and update loan summary worksheets
- Book monthly depreciation and amortization (loan cost and general liability insurance)
Book monthly fees payable to SFHDC
- Make appropriate journal entries to record real estate transactions as needed.
- Reconcile monthly intercompany payable and receivable to request for payment or receipt
- Work with the Real Estate Development team to do draw requests for development or rehab projects
- Perform sources and uses reconciliation including reconciliation between the development/rehab GL code to the summary draw sheets
- Review tenant charge to tenant lease agreements to ensure the accuracy
- Reconcile general ledger to sub-ledger i.e., AP and AR aging report
- Assist in the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements
- Act as liaison to external auditors by explaining journal entries and financial transactions, provide research data and information as requested, and answer questions necessary to complete the audit in a timely manner.
- Development and uploads of budgets
- Assist in the preparation of all accounts scheduled and other requests for compliance audits as well as Cost Certifications
- Have technical knowledge of lease accounting
- Uphold the internal control and accounting policies and procedures
- Perform ad-hoc duties as requested by Real Estate Development.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- S. in Accounting or similar education
- At least 3-5 years of experience in accounting, and with Low Income Housing Tax Credit Preferable
- Expertise in the Microsoft Office suite, particularly Excel, Word, Google Suite, Outlook and SharePoint. Experience with accounting software, especially YARDI or similar programs
- Nonprofit experience helpful
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to SFHDC’s mission
- Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills, which allows for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
This job requires simple grasping and fine manipulation sitting at a desk and using a computer for extended periods of tie, moderate use of telephone, standing, walking, bending and reaching. Requires occasional lifting or moving of objects up to 25 pounds, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
BENEFITS AND OTHER INFORMATION
SFHDC offers excellent benefits, SFHDC pays up to 100% of employee premiums and 40% of dependent premiums for Medical, Dental, Vision, LTD and Life, EAP, Retirement, Paid Time Off, CA Paid Sick Leave, Holidays and Wellness Days off for all eligible employees. **All candidates will be subject to a background check.** Please NO PHONE CALLS! ** SFHDC is an EOE/AA Employer.
Our core benefits include:
- Comprehensive medical, insurance for employees and partially for their dependents.
- 401(k) Plan for employees.
- Generous paid time off – minimum of 10days vacation for new employees, plus 14 paid holidays
- Employee Assistance Program that offers free financial or legal counseling to employees or their families.
- Other forms of voluntary benefits.